登录 | 首页 -> 华新鲜事 -> 技术の宅 | 切换到:传统版 / sForum | 树形列表
Kula, Geil Memory question.
<<始页  <上页   1  [2]  末页>> 

(引用 Kula:got it, thank you:)a creative way of fixing fan, will the sticker melt or become soft when it becomes hotter. I need to buy a f)it will not become soft while hotter. as far as i know, the shape of the stickerwill change only at the time you scrub and pull it, after that the shape will be fixed. i think unless it is more than 100 degree else the sticker will not change the shape. so far it is quite ok for me, i check it quite a few times, very solid :-) you need think over about the fan if you want to buy one because you need plan the size and the speed of the fan. mine is CM one 5200 rpm, i feel 2000-4000 will be ok because the heat over Mem is not that much while comparing to cpu. i will try 280-300 fsb tonight---sounds crazy.[warcraft3 (9-20 17:11, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]21楼

(引用 warcraft3:it will not become soft while hotter. as far as i know, the shape of the stickerwill change only at the time you scrub and pull ...)challenge is never crazy :)good luck![Kula (9-20 18:03, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]22楼

(引用 Kula:challenge is never crazy :)good luck!)Highest @ 277MHz workable.280+ for Mem can not start windows and sometimes needs clear CMOS, 279 can go in but the login windows fails, 278 can login but memory testing fail. for both 278&279, they fail at BSOD and tell me the memory management errors. 277 can do most of the things, but not stable. conservative setting is 275Mhz(2 Mhz less than the 277) at this time, even can use 2.5-4-4-7 aggressive timing. at this speed in my rig, it is stable and can pass the prime95 memory test but the cpu will fail after around 1 hour. when playing games, the nv_disp.dll error will come out.@ 273Mhz(274 Skipped) can pass both cpu and mem prime95 test (more than 5 hours testing for both). even so @270 game is always a headache due to the nv_disp.dll.
conclusion and analysis: (1)so far this board can only support 2.8v for mem, in the future if in any chance 3.1v is provided, it is very likely that the mem can run @290Mhz with 3-4-4-8(maybe a little cooling needed). (2) the possible reason why game always trouble the system is maybe because the HTT(hypertransport) link between Mem and AGP. explanation: from 270-273*9, it can pass all the tests including prime95, sisoft sandra burn-in test, 3dmark03 and aqua mark(cpu:mem=1:1 timing is either 2.5-4-4-7 or 3-4-4-8). prime95 can prove that the connection between cpu and mem is ok and both of them can function perfectly @ this speed. i search all of the google about this problem, it seems no solution so far. no matter it is infinite loop error or non-paged area or some other errors ,the error codes returned all point to the same memory location BFxxxxxx which is nv_disp.dll. can we blame Nvidia? No, Ati cards also have the same problem in a lot of cases. it doesn't make sense that under 247*10 D3D game can work but under 273*9 it can not. so i come to suspect the link between agp to cpu and mem---Hypertransport. accoding to the hypertransport consortium, it can run under 1.2volt @ 200 400 600 800 Mhz which are all basing on the 200Mhz just multi-channel. maybe 250Mhz+ is too high for Htt for the base bandwidth. that is why most of the board can adjust the htt voltage under bios settings. Abit K8vPro can adjust htt voltage from 1.2 to 1.35 at 0.05V step. even so, i am not very sure if it can make gaming smoothly @ 270Mhz+ fsb under high voltage. Due to the fact my PSU is just a 400W one, the power drain is so great that my rig can not work stable @ this power consumption. i did not try it too much, only adjust the htt voltage to 1.25 volt but my rig fails again in gaming@270Mhz. (3)finally i would like to say with a good PSU and Casing and maybe a better cpu fan, with higher Vdimm(mem voltage)@3.1v and higher Htt voltage maybe 1.35v or 1.4v, we can make it work @285-295*9 crazy speed for both cpu and mem(ratio 1:1).
[warcraft3 (9-21 11:16, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]23楼

(引用 warcraft3:Highest @ 277MHz workable.280+ for Mem can not start windows and sometimes needs clear CMOS, 279 can go in but the login windows...)good job :)as i suspect, 277*9 = 2500, this cpu cannot move further with total freq at 2500 with normal air cooling...Hyper 6 needed? :P

I agree with you, the HTT is the No1 suspected, ABIT make the HTT 1G instead of 800MHz, I believe you have adjust it to 4 x, (original is 5x), maybe we can try 3x? 320 * 3 = 960MHz not bad at all. again it's due to CPU whether it can be stable at 320 * 8 = 2560Mhz.

let's wait the new bios or a modded one. :)
[Kula (9-21 14:05, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]24楼

(引用 Kula:good job :)as i suspect, 277*9 = 2500, this cpu cannot move further with total freq at 2500 with normal air cooling...Hyper 6 n...)sure, the Prerequisite is the modded bios or newer official bios released fromAbit, else even we have money to buy the necessary equipment, we still cannot achieve more. for multiplier 10, i believe the highest maybe 250*10 under normal original fan cooling. to increase the fsb further more, we must wait for the newer bios. yesterday i can manage to boot into 300*6 under 6:5 ratio, but it is no value for us. higher fsb will make system less stable. anyway now i am using 246*10 to play safe, everything seems good and goes smoothly. we have already squeeze a lot from this poor 3000+ cpu. I am satisfied now. BUT i am also eagerly waiting for the new bios release because I believe the Geil UP ram has far more potential to be OCed.
One more strange thing, so far I read a lot of articles about the AMD64 3000+ OC, it seems most of them are under 2.3Ghz even in very good conditions of the rest parts(PSU, Mem....). How come ours are so easy to be OCed (with stable preformance)??? you have any ideas? or the articles I read are quite old? or they are all busy with the new Athlon64 FX and Socket 939 processors??
[warcraft3 (9-21 16:11, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]25楼

(引用 warcraft3:sure, the Prerequisite is the modded bios or newer official bios released fromAbit, else even we have money to buy the necessary...)yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in many aspects:
1. they got a low-class CPUs or they choose to use MB which is not good at OC
2. our information are out-dated, they post their results around May or April, that time K8T800Pro/Nforce250GB MB for 754 are not popular and are expensive.
3.later they succeeded but many of them didnt make it public
4. we are lucky enough :)

I believe with sempron 3000+, the 754 A64 platform will become mainstream for AMD users, higher one is 939
at the end of 2005, or mid of 2006, we shall get a Dual Core K8 with 90nm for acceptable price, and bythen 64-bit platform is ready (OS, driver, application...)
or we get K9 directly :D
as Microsoft's DirectX plan, mid 2006 or early 2007 DX 10 will come out, with their new OS, longhorn. we change platform then :)
[Kula (9-21 21:12, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]26楼

(引用 Kula:yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in ...)I think I find the key and solution for the problem!!!!![warcraft3 (9-21 23:10, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]27楼

(引用 Kula:yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in ...)Here it is:Today I use multiplier 8 cpu voltage 1.575 get the 285*8 successfully. cpu and mem all passed the prime95. the mem BW is crazy pc4560 with efficiency 85%=3870MB/s. the cpu now is 285*8=2280Mhz. but unfortunately it fails the 3d mark03 all 3d related things(even the dxdiag, but it gives me the hint for the reason and solution). For better understanding please refer to the graph for K8T800 Pro chipset http://www.via.com.tw/en/images/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t800pro_blkdiagram.jpg or this page http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t800pro/

You can see the important routes are Hypertransport and AGP 8X link, no matter how I adjust the setting, i can not get 3d workable under 285Mhz. Why prime95 can work perfectly but the 3D can not work??? Kula, do you notice a value when you do the sisoft sandra mem bandwidth test. It is named chipset 1 & under it "the Maximum Bandwidth". when I do testing @ 285 the value is 1140MB/s. I suddenly realize this is the key. it should be the "V-MAP" bandwidth in the figure above. according to the VIA, the V-MAP is the link between NB and SB, the bandwidth is as large as 1066MB/s. now you got it? yes the V-MAP speed is related to the FSB speed. When I touch it @ 285 Mhz, I feel it is very hot. So it further proves my point, when it is over roughly XMhz, it will be hardly cooled down. X/285=1066/1140 So X=266MHz. the Abit is really doing a good job on NB of this board, a nice blue heatsink. but Abit is really poor on SB, nothing onside the SB. So even @ speed>266Mhz, we can boot into windows, cpu mem testing, it is just hotter than @266 speed. when you doing the 3D game, it pushes the temp even higher!!!-----Beng! system hang for no reason, the nv_disp.dll can not receive the data it needed. Now not all the texture are in the memory, so this V-MAP link is so hot that nv_disp.dll will fall in a infinite loop to waiting for its large volume texture data to pass it to G-Card through HT and AGP8X link.

Now I am running 267*9( if it is not stable I will adjust it to 266), I believe my pc will be stable even @3D games.
For me 267*9=2400Mhz, the cpu is not so hot (much less than 2500MHz) mem is much much lower than my tested 285Mhz. what i will do is buy a small heatsink and put it on the SB to give SB a passive heatsink (I hv done that when I was doing my amplifier project at NUS). I believe after attached the heatsink, the board can run FSB285 very stable in all kinds of jobs. If possible I will attach a small fan to it to make it active heatsinker :-)

Rules of thumb so far I find
1)to increase the FSB to > 275Mhz, increase the cpu voltage, in my case I only can make it work when I adjust it to 1.575V. Mem timing is 3-4-4-8 at least for 285,actually I have not tested the other timing maybe it is really workable. Mem voltage here is 2.8v is enough for 285MHz. Cooling down the SB(south bridge) for our abit k8vpro board.

2)adjust the Htt mutiplier (3 for fsb>250Mhz) to make the whole bandwidth less than 2GHz.

what we can do in the future after apply the cooling system to SB, the reason why the fsb can not be pushed larger than 300+ is we need cool down the Sourth Bridge VT8237 chip. At that time, possiblly we can do FSB 342 with 6:5 ratio mem 285,342*8=2736MHz with maybe a good cooling fan or water cooling :-)
[warcraft3 (9-21 23:54, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]28楼

(引用 Kula:yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in ...)The reason why yours can not finish aqua and 3d mark 03 even in 270 MHz, whilemine can, is your damn fast 6800 Ultra. It eats large volume texture data in very short time. it overloaded the V-MAP speed limit. your system hang. Now what we need to do is not modding the Vdimm which is highly dangerous to MB, but just easliy and safely attach a heatsink to SB. but one thing I need your help, you have any idea what kind of sticker of geil we need to use for the heatsink? It must be a good heat-conductor.[warcraft3 (9-22 0:55, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]29楼

(引用 Kula:yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in ...)i think this is helpful for us.http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aa-diy-chipcool.htm[warcraft3 (9-22 12:16, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]30楼

(引用 Kula:yes, we already save S$300+ coz we got a 3700+(sandra's PR)I'm also curious about those articles... but I think reason lies in ...)so Vlink 8x is the cause?I have an idea, let's put the nice blue head sink on SB from NB, and get a fan to activly cool the NB (there are 2 holes around NB for the fan)

AGP 8x is directly link to memory, have anything to do with the Vlink?
Vlink is to transform all system IOs' data from SB to NB, and According to VIA, the Vlink have a fix freq at 266Mhz. If fsb increase, Vlink should remain same otherwise ABit must do something wrong. Still no idea how it crush the agp.

maybe we can suggest Abit to lock the Vlink speed. If fsb get higher, it doesnt have impact on system.
[Kula (9-22 12:26, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]31楼

(引用 Kula:so Vlink 8x is the cause?I have an idea, let's put the nice blue head sink on SB from NB, and get a fan to activly cool the NB (...)I think use NB heatsink is not possible because the NB one is too big andalso no thermal tape or sticker provided, I actually just bought a CoolerMaster chipset heatsinker with a fan from SLS, I will try tonight, but so far I tested, @266Mhz my machine can run 3D mark03 70 loops without any error(around 5 hours). That is why I sacrify my lunch time to buy a CM chipset fan. it comes with a double side thermal sticker under the heatsink and it can use 12v as input or a converter to use 5V i think, it is oringinally designed for NB so it is a litte bit large for the SB, but I tried at Fuwell, it can be put in. it is not expensive, 10S$, for the other shop 15S$.
i would like to use a active fan cooling to make sure all my mother board chipsets are stable.So let us try and find out.
[warcraft3 (9-22 15:29, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]32楼

(引用 Kula:so Vlink 8x is the cause?I have an idea, let's put the nice blue head sink on SB from NB, and get a fan to activly cool the NB (...)I now can run all d3d testing even @ 285MHzbut you need take note one thing, my previous assumption maybe wrong, now SB is well cooled down, but the system hang is still there, I realize it is no more a heat problem because all my parts are in good temp. So I try to minimize the problem to NB and AGP bus link, I try to adjust the ration to 8:2:1 instead of the fixed(66Mhz 33Mhz), after that, everything is fine, it is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am testing the 285Mhz(3-4-4-8) with 8:2:1 at 72Mhz:36Mhz, it is fine. Previously, dxdiag and 3d mark03 or AquaMarks all hang at the first second @ this bandwidth. now all of them can pass the test. Since my cpu can not run @285*9 well. I decide change to 275(2.5-4-4-8) 275*9=2475Mhz now I can pass all the 3D tests. Cheers! At least I make some progress, I now understand the lock apg.pci of Abit is not functioning well. So when we run 3D demanding program, the MB will maybe switch between other different ratio in quite a short time---the driver confused and hanged. I feel my poor card can still work @ AGP=72Mhz, so i believe your king card can surely run without any errors now. As i recommend, you can try 285*9 in your case since you have good PSU and Casing cooling. And the most important thing is do not trust the Abit Fixed Freq but mannuly set to 8:2:1.@285Mhz AGP=72 and PCI=36. Btw I disable the fast write so I do not know what will happen if I enable it. But one thing for sure, even before I disable of enable Fast write, I can not run the 3D testing @276+Mhz, but now I can.For 285Mhz*8, My machine is so far so good.
The SB cooling is nice in my machine, 3 blue lights when running, very steady and now the SB is very cool.
Wish you a good luck.
[warcraft3 (9-22 19:08, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]33楼

(引用 Kula:so Vlink 8x is the cause?I have an idea, let's put the nice blue head sink on SB from NB, and get a fan to activly cool the NB (...)I now know that our initial assumption is wrong, the Agp lock gives us so manytrouble, we start with incorrect point. Damn to the Abit, there engineer can not make the lock work perfectly, so when we are exceeding the 266MHz fsb the biggest ration of 8:2:1 can not make the AGP stay at 66MHz, but I know the chipset is still trying to make it work at 66Mhz again and again until the system hang and we have to reboot it. So unlucky. :-([warcraft3 (9-22 20:44, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]34楼

(引用 Kula:so Vlink 8x is the cause?I have an idea, let's put the nice blue head sink on SB from NB, and get a fan to activly cool the NB (...)let me try this weekend[Kula (9-23 14:00, Long long ago)] [ 传统版 | sForum ][登录后回复]35楼

<<始页  <上页   1  [2]  末页>> 
登录 | 首页 -> 华新鲜事 -> 技术の宅 | [刷新本页] | 切换到:传统版 / sForum