吐槽, 关于读phd
登录 | 论坛导航 -> 华新鲜事 -> 心情闲聊 | 本帖共有 159 楼,当前显示第 142 楼 : 从楼主开始阅读 : 本帖树形列表 : 返回上一页
作者:Daf (等级:2 - 初出茅庐,发帖:278) 发表:2012-07-21 03:05:22  142楼  评分: 
What's your purpose of life? Find this out, then everything will fall into
I get the above conclusion from my own life story, after 3 years of trying out different things + rediscovering myself.

Motto: it's never too late to make the change. It's also alright to make mistakes along the way. The process of finding your purpose of life is far more important than the end result.

My story:

I used to work as RA at A*Star, the project looked promising (boss was ambitious for quality publications), and my boss asked me whether I would like to do PhD with him.
At that time I was already planning to switch career, and was doing Master in Financial Engineering.
The PhD program looked attractive also as the boss made many fanciful promises...

After a few days' self-discovery and intense discussion with friends, I told my boss "No"...

About 12 months later, I resigned, and my boss remained speechless while I was telling him the news. I thought he was shocked, and felt sorry.

Another 6 months later, I found out that my ex-boss was about to go back to the States for faculty position. This time I was the one to get shocked.

Everyone thought I made a successful career change to the $$ making industry.
Only I knew the good, the bad, and the ugly of working 60 hours/week + travelling 1-2 times a month + no time to date etc etc.

I made career change again to teaching after a lot of self-discovery + many more intensive discussions/career counseling. It started a bit half-hearted, as I wasn't even sure whether it was the right move myself.

Another 1.5 years passed, and now I am happily teaching primary school kids, a career I never ever thought about.

Life is good, although the path does not always appear to be beautiful.

I wish you all the success for your future endeavors. I made it, you can as well! :-)
Put your OWN COOL signature here!
欢迎来到华新中文网,踊跃发帖是支持我们的最好方法!原文 / 传统版 / WAP版只看此人从这里展开收起列表

本帖共有 159 楼,当前显示第 142 楼,本文还有 N-1 层楼,要不你试试看:点击此处阅读更多 >>

请登录后回复:帐号   密码